Modern websites need to be served over HTTPS so that communication between the user and your server is secure.
This check verifies:
- That your site is served over HTTPS
- That your certificate is not set to expire soon
- That any requests made via HTTP are redirected to HTTPS
Why is this important?
Sites that are not HTTPS:
- Are penalised by search engines
- Display security warnings to your visitors - which will tell them that it is insecure
- Are slower
- Are vulnerable to exposing customer data to hackers